The Church of Saint Apostles Peter and Paul is located in Antakalnis on a site which once used to be the place of pagan cult. According to one legend the church dates back to the XIV th century. In 1638 a monastery of the Canons Regular of the Lateran was built next to it which therefore was closed in 1864 by Russians. The current buildings, namely the church and the monastery emerged after the Muscovite invasian at the begining of the XVII th century. In 1668 the construction of the new church was began by the Hetman of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and governor of Vilnius Michal Kazimierz Pac who as it is believed commissioned to build it in gratitude for God for personal salvation during the war with Moscow. The paintings hanging in the presbitery depicting a devout believer are the following: a formal portrait of the founder Michal Kazimierz Pac, a painting of Saint Mary Magdalene of Pazzi, a painting depicting Archangel Michael, and a painting of crusified Jesus. It is said that he last painting (from the previously mentioned) was taken with Pac to wars.
The church is distinguished by a special interior décor encompassing numerous stucco figures by famous Italian Baroque sculptors G. P. Perti and G. M. Galli. Its interior is comprised of one central nave, six chapels on the sides, and a transept. The first two small chapels are found below the church towers. St. Francis along with Crucifix sculpture is located on the right whereas a baroque marble baptistery with baptismal font from the XVII th century is on the left. Further to the right – St. Knights’ chapel with a scene depicting St. Casimir, magically inspiring Lithuanian soldiers over the victory against the Muscovites. In front of it – St. Queens’ chapel dedicated to honour noble women, exemplary mothers and wives and their thoughtfulness for the needy. Moving on, the next chapel on the right of is that of St. Ursula reminding female martyrs who were killed because of religious hatred by barbaric soldiers. This is a monument dedicated to the suffering of the women of Vilnius during the recent occupation of the capital. The St. Augustine’s chapel which was governed by the Lateran Canons faces St. Ursula’s chapel.